19 September 2010

Wir haben Angst und sind allein

A facebook chat about the songs on my i-pod for the gym got me musing, mine doesn't include any dance tracks with high energy and bpm to keep me bobbing along on the cross-trainer. 
I'd listed several bands that I had on there and a friend suggested I should have some Prodigy  instead of the (mostly) indie rock that I picked as being suitably loud and distracting enough to keep my mind off of the monotony of turning those pedals again and again and again... 
Breathless of course once more today, but I still try to sing along with the words, and it occurred to me that I don't have much of an ear for music, but that my favourite songs are all those with (imho) fantastic lyrics that say something to me or evoke a mood. 
Sure the music is underneath, driving the song on, and the 'tunes' I like are building swelling tunes, starting with a simple melody or riff which grows and grows behind the words and the words expand with it and it swells, fills you up and hits a crescendo. 
I have to try so hard not to sing out loud too, gasping "Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking when I said I'd like to smash every tooth in your head," or "In the end all you can hope for, is the love you felt to equal the pain you've gone through," or "But I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo, what the hell am I doin' here, I don't belong here," would raise a few eyebrows from the fitness trainers and other gym-bunnies.
Still, today I guess I found the exception that proves the rule, foreign language songs, the lyrics only partially understood, and the partial understanding good enough to satisfy my lyrical urge, and it's true, "Gott weis ich will kein Engel sein."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...