10 January 2010

Creating...


Her art, I don't understand it, I don't know how she does it, I just don't understand the creative process between a visual idea and a finished piece. I don't know what it is that she puts into it or what she thinks about it and only vaguely have an understanding of where the ideas come from; not how they have grown and twisted and changed in the execution, the paints or inks or materials sneaking something of themselves in to flavour the picture. I can still feel the frustration I had in art class at school, at having images in my head that I could not get out onto paper, my visual sense outstripping any ability I had to represent it.



Looking at pieces that I do not understand, I can think "Oh, I like that," or the reverse, but my lack of comprehension strikes at my art, my writing; I do not have the vocabulary to explain why I feel about a picture the way I do.


I assume that writing is a less difficult art as surely everyone understands words, but maybe the writing process is as opaque to others as creating visual art is to me. I sit down to write, the words (cliché alert) do spill out, they need jumbling, weighing and organising so that they flow until I can feel within myself when something is finished, finished and rough polished; maybe needing feedback for that final gloss but I have created phrases, pieces that I am happy with.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...