01 December 2012

#008: nuance


this is what I miss, the ability to shade and highlight in conversation, to say something is a slightly different way so it almost but not quite means the same thing.
I took my car to the garage yesterday, and in my kindergarten German was able to understand that no, they couldn't say exactly what was wrong with it now, that I should bring it in again on Monday where they would take a look at it, and then I would have to wait for an appointment to fix whatever they find. It took about 10 minutes to get to that point... would be maybe 30 seconds if we were both fluent in the same language... I miss not being fluent, and then, embarking on this self-set word a day challenge, I muse on how many people aren't fluent in their own language?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...