10 January 2010

Last morning


When I wake up I am pinned down, my head is anchored to the pillow.  Resistance at my scalp as the skin pulls as I try to move, twist my neck.  Panic clutches me, like that waking dream where my body is frozen but I am alert, I can hear the footsteps coming towards me, coming closer, I know I am paralysed and cannot escape and still they come.  Breathe, gulp air, how effortful it is to do this now when aware that the allotted amount is almost up; how have I breathed unnoticed all this time?  Thoughts whirl and skirl, patterns in the air, a flock of seagulls, wishing I had a picture of you, I've been looking so long at these pictures of you...
The low rumbling I hear must have been going on for several seconds now and with this the terror recedes; it resolves itself into a purr as once again my cat has come into the room in the night and now squats heavily on my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...